I continue to have ideas for different ways to use the Giant Game Floor Mat. Christmas seems to be a good time to try an idea I’ve wanted to develop—a rebus for the game mat. A rebus uses pictures to represent words, and this method works well to create a game for preschoolers and young children.
I used stand-up figures from previous leader packs, but other illustrations or full-size pictures can be used.
Supplies for Patterning for Giant Game Floor Mat:
- Giant Game Floor Mat (LifeWay Christian Resources, Item 1114564)
- white paper plates
- printed words and pictures to replace some words
- scissors and glue
- Command Hooks® to hang the mat on the wall—four holes are provided on one side of the mat; the mat can also be placed on the floor.
1. Print the words (in bold) on white paper. Choose pictures to replace the omitted words (in parentheses).
Row 1: (Angel) told (Mary) Good News!
Row 2: (Angel) told Joseph Good News!
Row 3: (Mary) told (Elizabeth) Good News!
Row 4: (Jesus—baby in manger) was (born—baby Jesus with Mary/Joseph) Good News!
2. Cut the words and pictures to glue inside the paper plates. (Idea: Cut out the inside of a paper plate to make a circle pattern. Use the pattern to cu the printed words and the pictures to fit inside the plates.)
3. Arrange the plates inside the pockets on the four rows of the mat. (See illustration.)
- · Before the session, practice reading each row of the rebus as you recall the events that tell the Good News of Jesus’ birth.
- · Guide children to read the Bible truths. Open the Bible to mention the stories of Mary’s Good News (Luke 1:26-57), Joseph Obeyed God (Matthew 1:18-25), Mary Told Elizabeth (Luke: 26-38), and Jesus Was Born (Luke 2:1-20).