What can a penny teach us about missions?
What you will need:
- One penny for each child to look at
Put it together:
- Give each child a penny. Discuss the words and symbols found on each side:
- ONE CENT: a missionary is “one sent” to tell others about Jesus.
- HEAD: We should learn about missions.
- E PLURIBUS UNUM: “many united into 1”- One penny alone can’t do much, but when we all cooperate together we can accomplish great things. We should give to missions.
- IN GOD WE TRUST: We should pray for missions and missionaries and trust God to use them to reach the world.
- UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: Missions begins at home in our community, city, state and country.
- ROUND: The shape reminds us that we have been commissioned to take the Gospel to the whole world.
- Remind the kids that even pennies that are old, tarnished and worn have value and purpose and can be still be used.
- Encourage the children to keep the penny as a reminder that we should pray for missions, learn about missions, give to missions and participate in mission activities.